Summer is coming to Europe! And so happy to admit that Europe is just the perfect place for solo traveling in summer. Think about those magical summer nights, romantic dining close to the ocean, and endless beach days on Europe’s coasts and picturesque islands. Continue reading for the best spots you should visit on your travel journey to Europe this summer, babe!
Note: COVID-19 pandemic might affect the activities described below. They might get cancelled or do not take place at your time of visit. Please check the providers’ pages carefully and regularly as things might change on short notice. Check out the government’s website from your home country for the latest immigration updates that apply to you.
The first spot to travel to Europe this summer is definitely the Algarve in Portugal. Known for its mystical rock formations, cliffs, and picturesque sandy beaches, Algarve makes the perfect summer destination. You can enjoy beach life, learn surfing, and go on a boat ride to make the summer endless, girl!
Travel highlights of Algarve:
- visit the beautiful caves Algar de Benagil
- enjoy beach surrounded by cliffs Praia da Marinha
- go surfing at beach Praia do Beliche next to town Sagres
- visit magical rock formation Ponta da Piedade
- go on a boat ride and spot dolphins in the ocean
Ibiza is an island located in the Mediterranean Sea and convinces with beautiful beaches, rock formations, and stunning views over the ocean. You’ll love Ibiza’s white houses, lovely hippie culture, and relaxed atmosphere makes it a perfect spot to travel to Europe this summer.
Travel highlights of Ibiza:
- visit largest city of Ibiza (Elvissa) and the historic district Dalt Vila
- embrace viewing rocky island Es Vedrá from the island
- enjoy beach life and go on a boat tour
- visit famous hippie market Las Dalias
- grab a cocktail at Café del Mar
- watch the sunset at beach Cala Benirrás
Côte d’Azur (France)
Côte d’Azur is another great spot for your travel to Europe this summer. Located in Southern France, Côte d’Azur region covers the most scenic towns such as Nice, Cannes, and Saint-Tropez. Outstanding beach life, chic bars, vibrant French lifestyle, and the best food in the world will await you. Don’t miss out!
Travel highlights of Côte d’Azur:
- visit the beach promenade in Cannes
- try amazing seafood
- have a drink in Saint-Tropez
- enjoy beach life along the coastline
- go on a boat trip in the Mediterranean Sea
- make a day trip to Monaco
- visit sights nearby: Grand Canyon du Verdon (gorge), Provence (lavender fields), Grasse (perfume city)
I guess you won’t associate Germany with those kilometers of white sandy beaches. It’s so picturesque to be true. The small island Sylt is located in the North Sea and can be reached via car train from Niebüll, Germany. You can stroll along the long beaches, spot some sheeps on your way, or have a relaxing day in one of the romantic beach chairs. However, it’s always quite windy and a rough climate even in summer, but it’s exactly what makes it so special.
Travel highlights of Sylt:
- explore biggest town Westerland
- cycle to and around the Ellenbogen
- go kitesurfing
- eat fish at famous Gosch restaurant
- visit the best beach bar on the island, Sansibar
- rent a beach chair and relax
- meet sheeps in the North (Ellenbogen) and seals in the South (Hörnum)
- enjoy sunset at the West beaches
Want to learn more about Sylt and need more inspiration for your bucket list? A special blog post will be published soon!
Bergen comes as a UNESCO World Heritage City with moderate climate during summer and has so much more to offer. Famous as the gate to the Norwegian fjords, Bergen city makes the perfect start for a boat trip into real nature. Besides, you can visit the ancient houses and the picturesque harbour accompanied by delicious seafood as fresh as it can be.
Travel highlights of Bergen:
- stroll through the streets of ancient Bergen (called Tyske Brygge)
- take the funicular to see Bergen from the very top
- eat fish at the local fish market
- enjoy the harbour with picturesque Norwegian houses
- make a tour to the famous Hardangerfjord around Bergen
- go on a boat trip departing from Bergen
South Tyrol (Italy)
If you love the mountains, you are perfectly right in South Tyrol, Italy. South Tyrol has is all: epic mountain scenery, legendary alpine meadows, and romantic mountain lakes, girl. Whether you go on breathtaking hiking trips, enjoy the landscape from the mountain top or just relax at a lake and stroll along green alms. And by the way, the Dolomites region got rewarded as UNESCO World Heritage Site, so it’s totally worth a visit this summer.
Travel highlights of South Tyrol:
- visit capital city Bozen
- go on hiking around mountains Cinque Torri and Tre Cime di Lavaredo
- enjoy alpine meadows at Alpe di Siusi
- relax at Lago di Braies
- try South Tyrolean dishes (e.g. Knödel and Kaiserschmarrn)
- enjoy South Tyrolean wine
Need more inspiration for your bucket list? Check out my blog post about traveling the Dolomites and get the ultimate one-week guide!
Boats cruising across turquoise colored water in front of beautiful Valetta, Malta. Truly a perfect getaway destination for your travel to Europe this summer! Malta has stunning villages to visit, natural swimming pools and caves, and offers great restaurants and local dishes.
Travel highlights of Valetta:
- go on a guided city tour in Valetta
- visit the picturesque fishing village Marsaxlokk
- enjoy a swim in the natural swimming pool St. Peter’s Pool
- hop on a kayak to Blue Grotto
- visit breathtaking Blue Hole and Azure Window
- go on a hiking trip along the coast to Dingli Cliffs
- eat incredibly fresh seafood and try traditional Maltese dishes (e.g. fish soup, rabbit stew)
Split and its turquoise clear water will let your heart skip a beat, babe! Located on the Adriatic coastline, Split will fulfill all your dreams of literally been traveling to the Caribbean. You can enjoy the city life of Split or decide to go on a boat trip to the remote island Brač that comes with breathtaking Golden Cape beach.
Travel highlights of Split:
- stroll through the city of Split and catch the Croatian vibes
- visit ancient Diokletian palace
- relax or be active in the forest park Marjan
- try famous Croatian dish Ćevapčići
- take a ferry to remote island Brač departing from Split
- lie on the beach of Golden Cape at Brač island
Want to explore more highlights of Croatia? I prepared a full guide to explore Croatia on a road trip.
COVID-19 changed the way we travel. You want to learn more about how to travel safely during the pandemic? Read more and get my ultimate tips for safe travels!
The picturesque landscape of Santorini will turn your travel to Europe this summer into a magical moment! The beautiful white houses with their turquoise roofs, the astonishing views over the ocean, and the great greek food and local wine. Whether you relax on the beach, cruise over the island, visit archeological sites, or cherish the daily sunsets – Santorini has ist all.
Travel highlights of Santorini:
- stroll through legendary towns Ia and Firá
- enjoy beach life at Paralia Perissa
- visit archeological excavation Akrotiri
- take part in a wine tasting event and try local wine
- go on a boat trip to close-by islands Thirasia or Palea Kameni or Nea Kameni
- embrace Greek food and Greek Frappe
- and of course watch the breathtaking sunset every evening!
Want to learn how to create you own Greek Frappe at home? Here’s the recipe!
You want to visit other, less touristy Greek islands? Here’s why Crete, Kefalonia, and Milos are perfect for you, babe!
The next beautiful spot you should take into consideration for your travel to Europe this summer is romantic Cappadocia, Turkey. Staying in a cave hotel, going on a ballon ride during sunrise, and experiencing the many caves and stunning scenery of this region, will take your breath away.
Travel highlights of Cappadocia:
- go on a ballon ride over Cappadocia (it’s very special during sunrise)
- stay at a traditional cave hotel
- visit Pigeon Valley
- hike through the wild nature to the tower-like rock formations in Love Valley
- visit cave cities (e.g. Derinkuyu) and cave churches (e.g. National Park Göreme)
- go on a horseback ride through Rose Valley
- take part in a traditional “Turkish Night” with great food and traditional belly dancers
Hey girl! What matches a beautiful summer better than perfect summer dresses? I researched for sustainable fashion brands that will bring you vacation vibes to your wardrobe. I’d love to introduce the brands to you and telling you more about their wonderful missions: click here.
You are dreaming of visiting Germany? I can totally recommend visiting Berlin and dive deeper into its epic history, modern face, and all the other iconic highlights of Germany’s capital city. Btw Berlin is an amazing place during summer! Get my Berlin guide for free here.
// Disclaimer // I was not paid for my reviews and recommendations mentioned in this blog post. The views and opinions expressed in this blog post are purely my own and can be considered as honest evaluations.
What is your favorite vacation spot this summer? Please leave your comments and thoughts below or on social media @storiesoutofthesuitcase. Happy Traveling ♥